St. Simons Island Festivals & Events
St. Simons Island festivals and events are a celebration of Lowcountry culture and cuisine. Feast on local shrimp and grits, learn to shag, or enjoy a jazz concert in the shadow of a historic lighthouse.
Photo by DonovanHouse
Georgia's Golden Isles have regular and ongoing events throughout the year, ranging from a regional celebration of local seafood and cooking styles in nearby Brunswick, Georgia, to casual weekly concerts by the St. Simons ligthhouse.
Here are a few St. Simons Island festivals and events happening both on-island and in the surrounding areas. The months given indicate when these annual events typically take place, so be sure to check the exact dates of these festivals before planning your vacation.:
On St. Simons Island:
- Summer (various dates): “Jazz in the Park” and "A Little Light Music" evening concert series on the lawn of the St. Simons Island Lighthouse. Bring a picnic, chairs, a blanket and your favorite beverage.
- May: Annual Tabby & Tillandsia Garden Walk Weekend benefits the preservation and maintenance of the circa 1804 tabby slave cabins on beautiful and historic Gascoigne Bluff on St. Simons Island. Explore eight beautiful gardens on St. Simons and Sea Island, enjoy a floral photography exhibit, and peruse the garden market.
- July 4th: Sunshine Festival & July 4th Celebration. Start the day off with a 1 Mile Fun Run. Later on, enjoy food, entertainment, rides, fireworks, and more at the St. Simons Pier.
- August: Golden Isles Kingfish Classic Fishing Tournament
- November: Georgia Coastal Artists Show featuring works from 34 artists.
- December: Annual Christmas Arts & Crafts Festival. Over 80 exhibitors and food vendors. Tel: 912-638-8770.
On Jekyll Island:
Photo by Ralph and Jenny
- Sunday Dinner Dance (weekly) in the Grand Dining Room at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel, 6 p.m. Gourmet dining and ballroom dancing. Reservations required. Tel: 912-635-2400.
- Early April: Easter Egg Stroll - Easter egg hunt held in the Jekyll Island Historic District.
- May: Jekyll Island Nest Fest and Turtle Crawl Triathlon. This week-long event highlights the Georgia Sea Turtle Center and Georgia's beautiful beaches as a habitat for Sea Turtles. Events include a cook-out and beach party as well as the Turtle Crawl Triathlon and 5K Fun Run. A portion of the proceeds benefits the Georgia Sea Turtle Center on Jekyll Island.
- June: Sand Gnat Shag-A-Ganza at the Jekyll Oceanfront Resort. “Park-n-Party,” shag workshop, meals and more. Tel: 912- 267-9077.
- July 4th: July 4th Celebration on Jekyll Island. Music and fireworks on the beach with a party and the DeeJay game show at the Beachdeck. Tel: 877-453-5955.
- August: Jekyll Island Beach Music Festival and BBQ Bash. Free Saturday beach party, live music, dancing, and great food all weekend, including a BBQ cook-off featuring local teams.
- September: Jekyll Island Shrimp & Grits: The Wild Georgia Shrimp Festival. This popular festival highlights the flavors of Georgia and the Golden Isles and includes cooking competitions, cooking demonstrations, shrimp eating contests, shrimp boat tours, children's entertainment, and more.
- October: Georgia's Colonial Coast Birding & Nature Festival. This festival includes exhibits and educational sessions on local habitat and wildlife. Visitors can also go on field trips to explore Coastal Georgia's rich birding locations and view the regions diverse local bird populations.
- Late October: Georgia Florida Golf Classic. Golfing fans get a chance to play against one another in this popular event which also includes great food, parties, and prizes.
Check with the Georgia Sea Turtle Center and your hotel for ongoing local events and programs!
- On the first Friday of each month enjoy "First Friday" in the Downtown Promenade from 5-8 p.m. Galleries and shops stay open late and serve wine and snacks. Newcastle and Gloucester Sts. Tel: 912-265-4032.
- May: Brunswick Arts & Crafts Festival at Mary Ross Waterfront Park. This popular event has been taking place for over 60 years and accompanies the Blessing of the Fleet.
- July 4th: Old-Fashioned 4th of July in Downtown Brunswick. Watch the parade through downtown to Mary Ross Park Waterfront Park. The celebration at the Park includes games, prizes, music, and free watermelon slices. After the sun goes down, enjoy a spectacular fireworks display over the East River.
Check the full schedule of Brunswick festivals for more events, including the blessing of the shrimp boat fleet, Fourth of July festivities, Stewbiliee and a street fair.
On Sea Island:
- October: McGladrey Classic. This new stop on the PGA Tour fall series takes place on the Seaside Course on Sea Island, which has been featured in Golf Digest’s list of Top 100 Courses in the United States. The winner's purse is $4 million and the tournament’s charitable beneficiaries include the Special Olympics as well as several local charities.
See what St. Simons Island festivals and events are going on during your vacation in the Golden Isles to experience all that this remarkable area has to offer.
Return to the St. Simons Island main page to discover where to stay, play and dine while you enjoy these St. Simons Island festivals.